Friday, May 06, 2005

Race

My first race rapidly approaches.

I am trying to remain calm, but really I'm quite nervous about it. I've been training since last August - nearly 10 months, and if I can't even finish the race I will be desperately disappointed. I'm reasonably sure my body will hold out. I'm scared of getting kicked in the face in the water, and of falling off my bike if the corners are wet. My time is going to suffer as I do everything I can to avoid these disasters.

I'm rereading my book, "The Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel, and reminding myself that this first year is a practice for a proper season next year. This small quote is particularly worth writing down:

"You do not, however, need a goal time for your first race. The objective of this one is to merely finish comfortably with a smile on your face. Once you accomplish that challenge and know what your capabilities are, realistic time goals can be determined for the next race. Every time you race, something is lerned that makes you a wiser, and ultimately more fit, athlete".

I feel better already!

No comments: