Thursday, July 24, 2014

H10/2 24/07/2014

New Record 24:08

After a couple of weeks off (one due to road works on the course) it was back to the A4 in Maidenhead for another try at H10/2

Experimenting more with my warm up, I cycled over quite early (10 miles) and picked up number 33. It was over one hour until my start, so I went and cycled nearly the whole route. I kept my heart rate medium, but didn't go slow, and was fairly tired when I finished (another 10  miles).

It was a fine evening, sunny, but with a slight breeze (11mph SW). I prefer the wind to be on my back on the return leg of the race, but it felt more against me. I wasn't confident, and resigned myself to a hard ride.

In the first 5 minutes I felt tired, convinced I warmed up for too long. I pushed hard though knowing that I needed a faster outbound leg to compensate for a predicted slower return into the wind, and got some good speed. Annoyingly, No 34 caught me just before the roundabout. I tried not to let this affect my pace and didn't try to chase.

The return was hard, it always is. I was looking at a very good average speed and it never dipped below 39.2km/h. I think the wind had died down. After the last small hill I thought my legs were about to give up, but the slight descent after it allowed me to recover, and I pushed my speed back up 40, 46, 50km/h! My average speed inched towards the magic 40km/h.

Along the final straight I saw Anna waiting - she said something as I went past but I couldn't respond. 39.9km/h - slightly inaccurate as I start the timer 10 seconds before I set off, so I knew I was probably over that. Finished in 24.08 with an actual speed of 40.01km/h, and a new record for me for the course. I even came 11th overall, my best place by far. I still need to beat 24 minutes though...


Results MDCC : Strava

No comments: