Saturday, April 09, 2016

Windsor Sportive 2016

Windsor Sportive 2016 - 09.04.2016

Coming fast on the heels of the Windsor Duathlon, which left me finding it hard to walk for a few days, my legs actually felt ok for this one.

There was a big club presence from Evolution Triathlon, as it's a local ride, and Olivia came out from London to do it with me. My friend Andy looked at the heavy rain at about 6.30am, and wasn't sure he would drive over from Dorking.

The rain stopped though, and the start from Windsor Racecourse went well. I wasn't dressed warmly enough, and neither was Olivia, but we decided to risk it anyway.

We rode in a small Evo group for a while, but got dropped on a hill and cycled alone for a bit. Then we found them waiting up ahead in a bigger group and stayed with them for the rest of the day.

Just before Watlington I was overtaken by Andy, he had decided to come after all and had been chasing me. We were going very slowly and he didn't like the pace, so he didn't stay long. The weather wasn't too bad for a while, still cold, but sunny at least. We had a big climb that I didn't think Olivia would manage on her heavy bike - but she did it.

A puncture stopped play for a bit, luckily not mine or Olivia's, and most of us managed to get to Henley before some heavy rain - this is where we caught up with Andy who was waiting at the food stop there. Olivia was looking cold, so I gave her my leggings. We ate far more cake than we needed, and eventually left for the final leg.

The long stop hadn't helped us really as the going was tough. We were cold and wet and just wanted to be home. We did make it though and picked up a decent goodybag of food before going home to get warm.

Strava Link
Evans Blog


No comments: