Sunday, May 29, 2022

RideLondon 100 Essex 2022

 RideLondon 100 Essex 2022

29.05.2022 

Bib No 103660

Robert @ Start

RideLondon has been away for a couple of years due to various factors, Covid probably, but also finding a new route. When it was announced I can't quite remember now why I entered. I expected to not get a place, but apparently the first 10,000 to click all got in. So I paid my money, thinking Anna might want it, as I've done it five times already and she only did the first one. Anyway, that didn't happen, so I had to do it.

My training up until 3 weeks before was just short turbo sessions, and 5-10k runs as the Cliveden 10k trail run was my main aim. I quickly increased my bike endurance rides, which was very tiring and not to be recommended.

I've always maintained that riding 100 miles is simple, compared with the Herculean task of getting to the start line. This year was a little easier as I only had to get to Parliament Square, and not Stratford in East London. But my 6.10am start time still meant a 3.20am alarm clock, a one hour drive to an undisclosed location in Battersea where I hoped all day Sunday parking would be available, and a 6k bike ride. Luckily, the weather was fine so I made perfect time.

The weather. With no bag drop facilities (and so no chance to put some dry clothes in for the finish), the weather forecast was even more important than usual. Riding 100 miles in the rain would be bad enough, and I've done it before, but I decided if heavy rain was likely I'd stay in bed this year. But all weather reports improved right up to Saturday night, and with only a slight chance of a shower. I decided to wear my Castelli Perfetto with a base layer, and arm warmers. It's already a thick jersey, and is water repellent, but I did not want to be cold in the early morning, and I wanted the option to cool my arms if the sun came out. My backup was a normal jersey with a raincoat I could remove. But the raincoat has no pockets for food, and is not that breathable, so I left it in the car. I made the right choice as it never did get warm, not until about the last 5 miles.

At Parliament Square we had to get off and walk, and followed directions back onto the embankment where we waited, slowly inching forwards. Usually someone is there on the microphone, whipping up the crowd, and counting down each wave for their timed start. I couldn't see any start line yet, and the morning sun was bright in my eyes, but at 6:05am I realised that we must have passed it as everyone was speeding up. I activated my Garmin 800 bike computer and got going.

Did I mention my training wasn't great? I knew I could ride 100 miles, as I did about 70 the weekend before. But it was not fast, and hard. Today would be the same. I tried to get some early pace, but the pelotons going past me were too fast to hang onto. The long tunnels are always a highlight for me, traffic free, like the whole ride, but also wind free so it seems faster. It was Limehouse Link on the way out East to Essex. However I made fairly good time until after about 45 minutes - maybe that's when the morning bagel fuel ran out. I had to lower the power, and try to eat.

Robert with random Evo member

I do not know Essex at all; I did visit Epping Forest once, over 30 years ago, but that's it. The ride could have been interesting, but to be honest, it was pretty boring all the way round. Fields mostly, some trees for about 10 minutes (I guess that was Epping Forest), the odd small town. There were no big hills, which are nice as you get the elevation which gives great views. Some people say that Box Hill and Leith Hill made RideLondon in Surrey too difficult, and that this route is more accessible. I found the rolling roads just as challenging on my legs, with an overall gain in altitude very similar to the old route, but with none of the long descents where you get a good breather.

Robert @ Forest

All the way out there was a cold headwind and I was glad of my warmer jersey. Almost everyone who I saw wearing arm-warmers kept them on. By half way I was glad to stop. There was a fair selection of food - I had some crisps/flapjack/energy bar and are my weird jam and peanut butter wrap. I felt quite full quickly, but kept eating, and had some jelly sweets too. I took a couple of photos, put a banana in my bag, and got back on my bike. My relaxed time was over 20 minutes, but a new innovation where the clock stops at two particular places means it doesn't show in my overall time - yay! :)

I felt much better and stronger on the way back (definitely the food). More fields and small towns, but no trees this time. Even colder initially, but as we got near London the sun did come out and I started thinking maybe the sun cream applied at 5am to my face had in fact been worthwhile. 

I played unofficial cat and mouse with another rider who kept overtaking me, and then slowing, and then I overtook her, and then I slowed. Through the magic of event photos, finisher results lists, unusual names, and public Twitter accounts, I discovered who it was and have decided that her new bike, which is worth just under £10k, was the reason I had so much trouble going faster than her. But a big group of riders overtook after half an hour of this, and I jumped on the back and rode with them for a bit, and she missed that train, so I did get away in the end.

Robert in some random Essex town

Cycling back into London along the three lane dual carriageway of the A12 was a bit cool. Amazingly, at many times I was quite alone on this ride of 20,000 people, and here I had a bit of fun with no one around to see me in any direction, weaving in and out of the lanes, just because I could, and will never have the chance again probably. Sadly, my Garmin didn't record this - more later on that.

It was a bit of a slog after this. Mentally calculating what 100 miles is in kilometres, I felt that somehow we were further from home than we should be. Sure enough, it was after 164.11km (102 miles) when I crossed a fairly unimpressive finish line on Tower Bridge to end my ride. (The Mall is much better). It took me just over 5 hours (5:02:02). I'd have liked to be under that .

Robert @ Finish

Sadly my Garmin 800 gave up after 3 hours 37 minutes; even though it appeared fine and counted the miles happily to the end they do not show on my downloaded file. Oh well. It does show the temperature was around 6 degrees when I started, and only 11 degrees at 10am, far colder than I'd like for an enjoyable ride.

I'm not keen to do this ride again - it was very dull compared to the Surry route, and the earlier May date means it's more likely to be cold. I do like the new start location though as getting out to Olympic Park was a real trek. But I'm glad to have done it this time, and proved to myself 100 miles isn't really that far on a road bike. Olivia and Gina were at  the finish waiting for me and we went for a lunch, which was nice.

Burger

 

RideLondon 2022 Certificate


RideLondon 2022 Splits

Links

Official Results

Strava (some of the ride at least)






No comments: