Saturday, June 03, 2023

Box Hill Gravel - Solo Ride

 Box Hill Gravel - Solo Ride

This post is just some musings on a ride I did at the weekend by myself.

Saturday weather was fine, and I fancied doing a longer gravel ride. I decided Box Hill was a worthy destination and got to planning. 

I tried the Komoot app on my phone, and then because I was having some difficulties downloading to my Garmin from there (I could have done it, but extra faff) I tried the Strava website instead and it calculated  pretty much the same route as far as I could tell. It was just a case of a simple point and click on start and end points and I had about 100k of riding.

Interestingly, the return leg is completely different, and did not look as interesting, with a lot more road sections. However, I prefer a circle to an out-and-back, so I went with it.

I am still not really used to the Garmin 1030+ bike computer I have, and I spend quite a lot of time arguing with it. I started following it to Swinley Forest - and I know the best way there for off-road - but my route was different. No worries, I just followed the Garmin.

But once inside the forest (where I entered by the wrong gate), the Garmin threw a wobbly and did a complete reroute trying to send me out to the dual carriageway. I ignored this, tried to start the routeing again and eventually gave up and started riding what I thought was the right way. As usual, I got lost, and went around in circles for a while. Eventually I persuaded the computer to give me a proper route, and made it to the exit near Bagshot. I lost about 30 minutes, but I guess it was fun in the forest.

Followed some roads, a little gravel past an MOD training area, and then went down some steps at Deepcut onto a canal. I've never been here or even heard of the Basingstoke Canal. This was a revelation really. Peaceful and almost deserted, 4km track by the canal passing multiple lock gates. I'll be back here for a walk.

Basingstoke Canal

There were a lot of roads after this, then I arrived in Guildford. I usually struggle through the town on a bike getting stuck in busy traffic. Even this route started with some dodgy dual-carriageway, but then I was onto a nice path by the River Wey. After crossing into the town I was routed up some quiet, and very steep streets - that's Guildford for you. I emerged from the town at Pewley Down - another new place - it has terrific views but I was late and not stopping. Probably the best riding section of the day was here, through some forest and quiet roads with little elevation, past Newlands Corner (not stopping again) , Denbies Hillside and a steep descent into Dorking.

I know the cycle path to the bottom of Zig-Zag hill well, but then rather than take the road up, my route was the more direct and steeper flint strewn path. I struggled on this. The vibrations, and the narrowness, threatened to knock my front wheel over the left edge. I was tired, and hot, and didn't fancy falling, so I walked some of it.

About four hours after setting off, I was finally at Box Hill - and sat down to enjoy the view and to eat my snacks.

View from Box Hill

Robert at Box Hill

I took the main road back down - faster, and no gravel, so less likely to cause me an accident.

Quickly I was diverted off road again near Mickleham, and into my least favourite part. Although it was nice to be off road and in woods, there were very rocky/flinty paths, and lots of ups and downs. It was hard work. 

I went over the M25 - I always like to take a photo on motorway bridges for some reason.


Bike on bridge over M25

Down then through a town (Ashstead) and then onto some flatter paths. Then - disaster. I hit something on the track, and heard an ominous pfttfuufff sound. Fearing the worst, I stopped and felt the pressure on my rear tyre. I wasn't great. A few seconds later, there was none. My first MTB puncture in about 10 years.

At least it was warm and sunny. I had a spare tube and slowly and carefully replaced the old one. All in all I took about 25 minutes, but it is best to take time and get it right - mistakes can damage your new tube, and I had just the one spare, and no puncture repair kit. Only five cyclists, in three groups passed me in this time. Two of the groups, one being a young woman riding solo, stopped to ask if I was OK and had everything I needed.

There was a little climb on Ashtead Common - on a very grassy track, some nice paths, and a strange bit of field at Arbrook Common. Then I was in Esher, and the last section of the route was all on roads.

By now I had run out of my 750ml drink, and my two cereal bars and my banana. I looked for food. I stopped at a Nisa just outside Walton and bought a can of coke, a scotch egg and a big bag of Hula Hoops (this was enough to get me home - well, that and a few more Jelly Babies)

The next hour was boring - Chertsey, Virginia Water and Ascot - all roads I know very well, but slow as I was on my knobbly tyres. I could see better off-road options in places - I will try and do a better route for the future.

It was a long but enjoyable day. 

  • I found a lot of new places - and will be back to explore on foot
  • I had no problems with fitness (though never pushed it really)
  • I have no injuries which slow me down
  • I tested my MTB puncture repair in the wild and passed - my pump is very small, quite slow to inflate, but really does the job well. 
  • Learned more about the quirks of my Garmin 1030+. I need to master this. It's battery life is good, after 7.5 hours it only went down to about 64%

Actual Ride here on Strava

 




   




No comments: