Thursday, August 05, 2010

10 Mile Time Trial 5/8/10

Results are up on the website here

Did my second 10 mile Time Trial with the Maidenhead Cycling Club.

The route start has moved from the A4 over near Maidenhead to Drift Road, which is a short 10 minute warmup cycle from my house.

I just turned up at the line and paid my £2 and got number 37. This left me quite a while to wait, but the evening was fairly warm and I cycled up and down a bit to try and keep my legs stretched.

Quite a few Evolution Tri club members turned out - Zoe, Anna, Amanda, Andy and Simon - which was nice.

Had a great start - mostly downhill - got my average speed up to almost 40km/h before the inclines started to bite into it. I had the advantage of knowing the course very well - but I've never tried so hard at some points and really noticed the quite small hills eating into my speed.

The final few minutes are downhill, so even though my average speed was down to roughly 35km/h at one point I was able to pick it up and finished with 36.53km/h average - that's a time of 26:26 for the 10 miles.

This is a few seconds slower than my first TT where I got 26:23, but I'm assured that it is a more difficult course, so I'm pretty happy with the result.

[How to get faster: work on the shallow inclines - losing a lot of speed on those. Smooth action pulling up and pushing down throughout the whole pedal revolution]

No comments: