Thursday, August 12, 2010

MDCC 10TT 12/8/10

Results here.

Some heavy rain in the afternoon, and no promise of it stopping for good, but it was clear at 6:15 so I headed up to Drift Road to add my name to the list for my 3rd cycling time trial with MDCC. Their rules say that if you do four races you should join the club - so I took my cheque for £15 along tonight - one week early!

I managed to grab the number 20 slot - and had a few chats with the others there. Anna from Evolution Tri Club turned up at the last minute and headed off as number 8.

This week I did some checking, and spotted that number 21 beat me by around three minutes. This meant I'd certainly get overtaken this week. Number 19 was of a similar standard to me, but he had brought his spare bike (not wanting to get his good bike wet) so I stood a chance of catching him.

Had a good start, 40.2km/h average before the gradient got to me.

Disappointed with my hill climbing - pushed a harder gear and got out of the saddle a bit more than last week. I think this is a better style for me.

Got overtaken about 2/3 of the way round, and had to slow a little to let the rider get away from me as he wasn't exactly flying past.

As I turned into Drift Road for the final push down to the finish - I had number 19 in my sights, and chased him down. I overtook and got well away from him before the line. His start was delayed by a few seconds by problems with his chain - so I only really went 1 minute and 3 seconds faster.

My result was 26:45 - a bit disappointing to be slower than last week - but many people were. A quick analysis of the 13 people who did both weeks shows that all except two were slower, and the faster pair were 1 and 7 seconds faster which is hardly significant. It must be the weather. It did rain a little on me during the ride.

Once again, I'm good at the beginning, and at the end, but lack focus in the mid race.

No comments: