Saturday, August 14, 2021

Parkrun #15 - Portrush

 Parkrun #15 - Portrush

After the race


After a long break of over a year and a half, I finally got to do another Parkrun.

On holiday in Northern Ireland, and hoping for good conditions, I wasn't disappointed. It's always a bit windy by the sea, but the day was not cold, and not raining, and the breeze was fresh, but not strong.

I drove down by myself, and got the time wrong, again, and was far too early for the 9.30am start.

Read my book, and had a little warm up.

Got a free sports drink from some company doing a promotion - bonus.

I'm quite fit, and working on a 5k plan, but I've not hit the speeds I would like in training yet. I expected somewhere between 22:00 and 22:30 - which is a kind of self-fulfilling prophesy.

The start went well, and I cruised down the beach with the tail wind. I think I took it s bit too easy, and even held back a little, to give me a half way average of around 4:20 min/km. (I'm now monitoring my speed in min/km rather than min/mile). That would translate to my target time OK. 

Having held back, I hoped I'd have enough in the tank to push against the wind and not lose too much time running along the beach to the finish. The third to fourth kilometre was a bit of a mess, but I caught a big group, and once past didn't want them to get me again, so I kept going. I was tired but finished strong, and even caught someone near the line who had overtaken me around the half way point.

I came 36th overall, out of 317 finishers - almost top 10%, with a time of 22:15 (only 1 second different from my last Parkrun!)

No comments: