Sunday, July 02, 2006

Bike

Set off very early this morning as I knew it would be a really, really hot day.

Left Ascot at 7:50am and headed out to Bracknell and around from there to Twyford/Henley (Regatta today)/Marlow/Bourne End/Maidenhead/Eton and home to Datchet.

Interestingly, met Martyn in a group of (presumably) SBR riders as I was approaching Eton Wick. It was after 10am, a bit of an odd time for them to be setting off.

I was still a bit tired from last night I think, and struggled to maintain my target 30km/h pace. At the lights in Eton it dipped below to 29.3, but I managed to push it back up before reaching home.

Riding in this way is quite good I find for short distances (~40k), but on longer rides modifying your pace upwards to try and raise the average gets harder and harder and more frustrating.

Wore my new jersey (bought yesterday in SBR, actually wore last night too). It's a Giordana in Black/Orange/Grey. I wrote a review of it on the new SBR website, but it hasn't appeared (Note - it has now), so I'll put it down below in this post too. It cost £40 - 10% - and as it's £34.99 on the website, I could have saved a quid!)

Average speed - 30km/h
Time - about 02:30
Distance - about 75km.

[note, watch out for Powerbars, one took a bit off my tooth off this morning)

---
Review: Giordana Tecnical Blend Jersey in Black/Orange/Grey: £40

I wanted something a bit brighter that would make me more visible to motorists, so the orange stripes on this jersey appealed to me.

A benefit I hadn't considered was the zip - unlike my other jerseys, it goes all the way down and opens at the front like a jacket. This means that when you take it off you don't have to pull it over your head spilling your keys/wallet/mobile phone/spare tube all over the floor! There are the usual three open rear pockets, but inside one is a small extra pocket which has a velcro fastening. I can't really think of a use for this - if it was waterproof it would be great to put a phone inside.

It's comfortable, wicks away moisture, and also feels like it's performing some wind protection in the front.

So overall, a great jersey.

No comments: