Sunday, September 12, 2010

MDCC 25TT 12/09/10


It's lucky that I'm writing this post a few days after the event. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and it was my very first 25 mile time trial, I was disappointed in my time and placing.

I started the day at 7am with a 1500M swim in the lake at Liquid Leisure. It was a glorious morning for the time of year. I didn't kick much knowing I needed my legs for the bike race in the afternoon.

Decided that I never properly warm up - so cycled to the start at the far end of Drift Road - approximately 7km. I hadn't prebooked a place and was pretty pleased to get number 12 (out of an eventual field of 19). Still, had a bit of waiting around which I didn't use properly. Need to really investigate the science of warming up - I'm always afraid to make myself too tired, but I think I suffer in the early stages of the race.

Anna and Andy were there from Evolution, it was sunny and warm, and there was a great friendly atmosphere. There was a bit of wind however, and in the 'wrong' direction.

My plan was to try and do the first lap (of the 2 3/4 lap course) in an average speed of about 35km/h. I was hoping that once properly warmed up, I could then push a little harder and hopefully get that up to 36-37km/h. I had no illusions of being able to do 40km/h - but I really did hope for a time of around 1:06.

The plan worked initially - I even got my average up to 35.7 at one point - but I suffered pushing into the wind on the downhill portions of the course that should have been fast, and so the losses in speed that are inevitable when climbing took far too long to recover from. I felt tired too and took my only gel at about 19 minutes. I think this helped a little - but I think I needed even more energy intake during the race. I also had some PSP22 drink which was mostly just to stop my mouth from getting too dry.

My average dropped to 34.9km/h on lap two, which I managed to get back to 35.1km/h by the end, but this was difficult to achieve.

Despite my best efforts, I just couldn't manage to cycle fast enough to get my speed average up past the 35km/h mark after it's dip to 34.9km/h again at the Bird's Hill golf course ascent.

I passed Anna and some horses (slowed down a little - not much) about 5 minutes from the finish. Even in the final straight where I wanted to sprint, I couldn't get above 40km/h.

I completed the course in 1:08:30 - a couple of minutes outside my target - and I was a bit disappointed. I guess I did learn a lot - and it isn't the easiest 25TT course around, and it was my first try, so I shouldn't beat myself up too much about it.

Result here.

Then I found out that there was a handicapping system that was applied afterwards to allocate the prizes. And by some magic I've been awarded 3rd prize in the race. My time is given as 00:55:12 which i really don't understand - I'll need to talk to the other club members about this at the awards dinner!

I'm really pleased about this, though a little baffled - I'm guessing that as it was my first go I get bumped up the standings a bit. I'm not going to complain though, and I will be getting a medal, which is the first one I think I've won for anything since I was at school :-)

Thanks to MDCC organisers, and to Andy again (who I pipped into 4th place in the handicaps!) for promoting the club and getting me involved in something I've been wanting to do for about five years but never got around to.

Handicap Result here.

Peter Bell took a photo of me last Thursday before the 10TT with my bike - reproduced here.

No comments: