Sunday, September 26, 2010

Windsor Half Marathon 2010


This was my second half marathon race. I had quite a nice run in Stockholm a year ago, finishing in about 1 hour 43 minutes. I was pretty sure I was faster this year, but a little worried by the hills and by my lack of much distance run training.

I have managed a few one hour runs in the last two weeks, and though my calves are tight, they have survived.

I actually had a sort of race plan. I had tried to hydrate and carb load for two or three days before the race - mainly orange squash and pasta. I had porridge and wholemeal toast and some flapjack in the morning (1pm start). I had a large glass of water about an hour before leaving home. I had decided not to try and take on board any water out on the course - it never works very well for me and I only do it because everyone else is. Instead I had three gels, not the small thick pasty ones, the gels like SIS Go that are fairly watery. I aimed to take one of these every 20-25 minutes and had three in my pockets. Note to self - should have taken four gels and had one 15 minutes before the start.

I met everyone from Evolution Triathlon Club at the football ground car park and we headed to the start in plenty of time. I even managed to find my friend Andi in the crowd and we started together.

The crowds were terrible - and even though I was positioned in the 1:30 - 1:45 pace section I had to fight my way through the slow runners, and didn't actually get to run my own race until mile 3. Note 2 to self - push your way nearer the front next time.

But I was feeling pretty good and seemed to be doing around a 7:15 minute pace per mile - maybe a little faster. Poor preparation meant that I mentally thought I would be on for a 1hr 30 min finish at that pace - assuming a decent negative split.

Took my first gel on queue at 25 minutes and really think I felt the benefit about 10 minutes later. Took the second gel at 50 minutes. At about mile nine my leg started to ache - not the calf - a new problem with upper right thigh. This, combined with a fairly nasty hill at around mile ten, and my left knee starting to feel weak, scuppered my chances of speeding up. But I think I kept the pace steady - my endurance is quite good, I just had to try and ignore the soreness in my leg.

Thought I may as well take the last gel at 1:15 - maybe I'd get some benefit for the finish. There was a bit of a headwind at times, but this was cooling and not a real problem. The weather was almost perfect really.

Hit the Long walk for the final mile - and though I know this course so well from training - the length still surprised me. Started my final sprint a bit too soon, and had to reign myself back in again. But I finished strongly and got under 1:35 for a great time for me of 1:34:30 - around nine minutes faster than Stockholm for a harder course. I was also 231st in a field of over 4000 runners.

I have now entered Reading Half Marathon next March - if I can train properly, and race fast I want to get under 1:30. It should be possible.

Results Here

No comments: