Sunday, October 08, 2006

Event - RunLondon 10K

10K run in 44 minutes and 01 second. This is actually a new personal best for me.

It was a really nice day for running in my opinion, bright and only very slightly chilly, so that I wasn't cold before the start, and didn't overheat too much running around.

Due to iPod problems, and a very poor analog watch, I was only vaguely aware of how fast I was running. Well, that's not actually true. I've done so much running in the last two years, that I can now feel my pace quite accurately. I knew I was having a fairly good on target first 5k at a very even pace. I knew I really struggled from 5.5k - 8k after picking up my water and as usual getting some up my nose while trying to drink it on the move. I really picked up the pace and knew that my last 2K were pretty good. I knew I'd done quite a good time, and was expecting a match of my 45 minutes from last year, so was really pleased though not too surprised to get 44:01.

Run training has gone really well over the last few weeks since I got back from Cuba. I started slow, and have done well to keep away from injury. I'm pretty fit from cycling to work, and this shows where I need to inject pace briefly. I'm so used to pushing off fast from the traffic lights on my bike, that those muscles can get me past a small group of people in my way, or propel me up a slight incline. So I was feeling quite confident about doing well in this race, as I was feeling quite fit.

I'm not so good with longer hills though. I think the period when I ran slowest from 6-8k was mostly uphill.

Nike measured some split times, which is really nice. Here they are:


2k 08:46 08:46 4:23
4k 17:33 08:47 4:23
6k 26:26 08:53 4:26
8k 35:42 09:16 4:38
10k 44:01 08:19 4:10


As you can see, my sprint finish was pretty impressive :-)

No comments: