Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Bike

Yes, Bike again.

Decided that I need to build stamina, and a 3 hour ride was in order. Despite making up the route as I went along, I managed to do almost exactly that.

Started in Ascot and finished in Datchet:

Time 3:02:??
Distance 89km
Average 28.34 knm/h

I didn't have any food, only one gel and 500ml of PSP22. This was a mistake. After 1 hour my average speed was 32km/h, but it gradually waned as I got more tired. I did a series of big hills outside Henley too, which slowed me down, though the ride back down the other side was pretty fast. In the last hour I just couldn't keep the pace any more even on the flat. I haven't done any rides this long for ages though.

On finishing, I could hardly get off the bike - back a bit stiff. Also, the suncream on my forehead had some flies stuck in it.

(Route, over to A30, then zig-zag up to Drift road. Over to Twyford and up to Henley. As mentioned, went up big hill there for a change and to add distance, past places like Rotherfield Greys and Shepherds Green and turned around at Nettlebed for a long downhill back to Henley. Then round to my usual journey home to Datchet through Marlow, Bourne End, Maidenhead, Dorney and Eton. Must do that Henley bit again soon.)

No comments: