Monday, July 04, 2005

Swim

I'm still a rubbish swimmer, but I've had an idea about why this is. I've never developed my upper body strength enough to allow me to swim any distance without getting tired. Consider running and other land based exercise. The first time you go out, you run far too far, and the next day (and the one after that especially) your leg muscles really ache. This is because they are torn, and are repairing themselves stronger than before.

When I go swimming, after about 50 metres, I'm too tired to coordinate properly, and so cannot breath, and so I have to stop for a rest. So my swimming exercise is in small intervals and I never really build up any stamina. I've never suffered sore arm or shoulder muscles after swimming.

So, new plan. More rowing and strength training for upper body in the gym. More swimming when tired to push myself to the limit. Only last year I was incapable of more than about 15M front crawl. Now I can do 50M. With some proper effort I hope I can learn to keep going even when tired, like I can when I'm running.

No comments: