Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Run

Went out for a run after work at about 7.30pm - still very dark at this time.

Did a new route up to Old Windsor and round towards Windsor Castle and back via Datchet Road. About 5.8 miles according to the GMaps Pedometer, that's nearly 10K, in 48:37 mins.

I'm finding the Gmaps Pedometer to be a very useful tool for planning my runs. If I think I need to run about 6 miles, I can very quickly track a route, and I can include off road portions. In this one I ran up a section of the Long Walk, which Autoroute probably wouldn't have allowed. I like the way it now shows elevations also, for an estimate of how much hill climbing I will do.

It's quite anoying on some sections of this route where there are no street lights. I'm either risking stumbling along in the dark and potentially tripping, or I'm being dazzled by car's headlights. C'est la vie.

On the fitness front, I'm running less quickly than I do obviously on the 3 mile Honda route, and never really get out of breath. I usually feel pretty good, though my feet and ankles suffer a bit from the added impacts. I try to take really short strides to minimise this and I think it's helping.

No comments: